Individual  |  Energy Assistance Programs

Ohio PIPP Plus. Pippers.

Individual » Energy Assistance Programs » Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus

To be directed to your local PIPP provider:

Call (800) 282-0880
For the hearing-impaired dial 711

Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP)

The Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) helps eligible Ohioans manage their energy bills year- round. Payments are based on a percentage of household income and are consistent year-round.

If your home is heated with gas, you will have a monthly payment of 6% of your household income for your natural gas bill, and 6% of your household income for your electric bill. If you heat with electric, your monthly payment is 10% of your household income. The balance of your utility bill is subsidized by the state of Ohio. There is a minimum monthly payment of $10.00.

Paying on-time and in-full each month reduces your outstanding balance. If you make 24 on-time and in-full payments, your outstanding balance with your utility company will be eliminated.

Once you are enrolled in the PIPP program, you are required to re-verify your income each year. You must also be caught up on all your PIPP payments by your Anniversary Date, which is the date you signed up for PIPP. Failure to report changes in the household income or household members, missing a payment, or not re-verifying your income can result in being dropped from the program.

Who is eligible for PIPP?

Ohioans with a household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines and have utility service from an electric or natural gas company regulated by the Public Utility Commission of Ohio are eligible for the program.

A household applying for PIPP must report total gross household income for the past 30 days (12 months preferred) for all members, except wage or salary income earned by dependent minors under 18 years old. Both homeowners and renters are eligible for assistance.

For July 2021-May 2022, the income levels are:

Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
1 up to $ 19,320
2 up to $ 26,130
3 up to $ 32,940
4 up to $ 39,750
5 up to $ 46,560
6 up to $ 53,370
7 up to $ 60,180
8 up to $ 66,990

For households with more than 8 members, add $6,810 for each additional member.

How do I apply?

You can apply or reverify your PIPP online at, by appointment at your local Energy Assistance Provider, or by mail. When you apply, you will need to complete the Energy Assistance Application (English or Spanish) and submit a copy of the following documents:

  • copies of your most recent utility bills, gas and/or electric,
  • a list of all household members (include birth dates and Social Security numbers) and proof of income for everyone in the household over 18 years old for the last 30 days for each member (12 months preferred)
  • Proof of citizenship or legal residency for all household members.

Please contact your local agency provider for a list of required documents.  Depending on your income type, additional forms may be required.  Samples of the additional forms can be found by clicking here. 

Don’t forget to sign the application. Not signing the application will delay the application process.

If you’re applying by mail, send your application and required documents to:

P.O. Box 1240
Columbus, Ohio 43216

Where do I get an Energy Assistance Application?

If you are enrolling in PIPP for the first time, please contact your local Energy Assistance Provider to make an appointment. 

You can start your application online by visiting

Click the link to download a copy of the Energy Assistance Program application (English or Spanish).

Applications are also available at your local Energy Assistance Provider, local libraries, county departments of Job and Family Services, and Area Agencies on Aging.

Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus Frequently Asked Questions

Once you’re enrolled in the program you do not have to reapply. You will be required to reverify your income and household information each year. Your re-verification date will appear on your utility bill. You must complete your re-verification within 2 months of the date on your utility bill.

The date you are accepted into PIPP is your Anniversary Date. You must be caught up on all your PIPP payments by this date to remain on the program.

Missing a payment will impact your ability to reduce your outstanding balance.

You should try and make up the missed payment as soon as possible. You will be required to make two payments by the due date of the next bill (one payment will be applied to the past due bill, one payment will be applied to the current bill due). If the payments are not made in-full by your Anniversary Date, you can be dropped from the program.

Don’t forget, your Anniversary Date is printed on your utility bill.  In addition, your utility service may be disconnected for failure to make payments.

If you are facing disconnection or have been disconnected from your utility service, please call your local Energy Assistance Provider.  The agency can help you identify resources to maintain your utility service.

Families who live in federally subsidized housing where the heat is included in the rent are not eligible for PIPP.

Household income is defined as the total annual gross income before taxes (minus exclusions) of all household members, except earned income of dependent minors under 18 years of age. All income and allowed exclusions must be documented for household members 18 years of age and older regardless of relationship to the primary applicant. Heads of households and spouses may never be considered minors. Gross household income includes wages, interest, dividends, annuities, and pensions.

Included (Countable) Household Income

  • Active Military Pay (Basic pay)
  • Alimony
  • Annuity
  • Black Lung
  • Capital Gains - Proceeds from sale of property, home and stock
  • Cash Withdraws from Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA), Annuities, or other investments
  • Commissions
  • Company Disability
  • Disability Assistance (DA)
  • Estate and Trust Settlements - minus attorney fees – (one-time payment or lump sum)
  • Farm Income
  • Garnished Wages, including Bankruptcy/Chapter 13
  • Grants/Training Stipends – living expenses only
  • Immigrant Relocation Allowance
  • Interest earned from Savings Accounts
  • Legal Settlements
  • Lump Sum Distribution
  • Odd Jobs
  • Ohio Electronic Childcare (Ohio ECC) – Provider Income
  • Ohio Works First
  • Pensions – Government/Veterans/Private Industry
  • Rental Income earned from rental property
  • Seasonal Employment Income
  • Self-Employment Income
  • Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability (SSDI) (Excluding Medicare Deductions)
  • Strike Benefits
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)/General Assistance (GA)
  • Unearned income paid to or on the behalf of minors
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Utility Allowances (as discretionary income)
  • Veteran’s Administration Benefits
  • Wages/Tips
  • Widows/Widower’s Benefits
  • Workers' Compensation

Excluded Household Income

  • Adoption Assistance
  • Agent Orange Compensation/Benefit
  • Assets from bank withdrawals (90-day rule)
  • Attorney's fees for Estate & Trust Settlements
  • Census Wages
  • Child Support Paid Out
  • Child Support Received
  • Education Assistance
  • FEMA Cash Payments
  • Food Assistance Benefit – Food Stamps, SNAP, etc. (cash or equivalent)
  • Funds/training stipends designated for specific purposes (i.e., educational Grants/Training stipends for tuition and/or books only-not living expenses)
  • Gifts
  • Handicapped Income – self-sufficiency programs (example: work expenses for the blind)
  • Health Care Spending Accounts – non-taxable health care spending accounts are allowable
  • Health Insurance Premiums (dental, vision, health and supplemental insurance)
  • Income earned by dependent minors less than 18 years of age
  • Jury Duty
  • Loans from individuals or institutions requiring repayment of either principle or principal and interest
  • Medicaid spend-down
  • Medicare Part D (prescription premium)
  • Medicare Payments
  • Military Allowances for Subsistence, Housing, Family Separation, etc.
  • Ohio Waiver Program
  • Prevention, Retention, & Contingency (PRC) - assistance to attempt to divert families from long term financial dependency
  • Proceeds from reverse mortgages
  • Reimbursement for work expenses
  • SS/SSI and SSDI overpayments
  • Stipend for Foster Care
  • Tax refunds and rebates
  • Title III Disaster Relief Emergency Assistance Program (DREAP)
  • Title V Wages/Senior Community Employment Programs (SCEP) - Older Americans' Act (Public Law 100-175) Experience Works (formerly Green Thumb), Foster Grandparents Program, Mature Services
  • Title XX Benefits
  • Transportation Allowances (i.e., Workforce Investment Opportunity Act (WIOA), Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), Workfare
  • Veteran’s Affairs (VA) Service-Related Disability/including surviving dependents
  • Volunteers in Service to America (Vista) or other AmeriCorps Stipends
  • Work Allowances (i.e., Learning Earning and Parenting [LEAP])
  • Work programs for people with disabilities

If you were a PIPP customer and no longer qualify because of your income, you may enroll in Graduate PIPP to help pay the balance on your utility bill.

To qualify, you must be in good standing with your utility company. Customers have 12 months (from the time they are determined to be over income) on Graduate PIPP Plus to retire their outstanding balances. The new payment amount will be the average of the PIPP Plus payment amount and the budget amount. For every full, on-time payment the customer makes they shall receive a credit toward the outstanding balance equal to 1/12 of the arrearage plus the accruing arrearage (if any).

PIPP customers that are no longer a customer of your utility and still have a balance with the utility company, may enroll in Post-PIPP to pay down your outstanding balance. Customers will have 12 months (from the time they discontinue service with the utility) to earn credits to their outstanding balance by making payments to their former utility. For every payment of 1/60 of the outstanding balance, the customer earns a credit equal to 1/12 of the outstanding balance. You can sign up for Post-PIPP when you call to cancel your gas and/or electric service. Your utility company can enroll you in the program.