Finding the time to focus on developing a new market is a challenge for many small businesses. The Ohio Export Internship Program is designed to help businesses overcome this challenge by matching them with highly motivated students, from Ohio universities and colleges, who have taken export-focused coursework at The Ohio State University Max M. Fisher College of Business, Youngstown State University’s Williamson College of Business Administration, Cleveland State University’s Monte Ahuja College of Business, the University of Dayton’s School of Business Administration, Ohio University's College of Business, or Bowling Green State University’s Allen W. and Carol M. Schmidthorst College of Business.
Applications are a request for a meeting with Development and the local export advisor about the program, not a final commitment to hosting an intern. If you have used the application system before, you will likely need to reset your password. Email Samantha.Poling@development.ohio.gov if you have issues while applying.
2022-2023 Program Timeline
- Student applications open at partner universities: August 2022
- Company applications open at Development: September 2022 through Feb. 1, 2023 (wait-listed after deadline)
- Student interviews and notification of acceptance: November 2022
- Company meetings: November 2022 through February 2023
- Export courses at partner universities: January to April 2023
- Notification of student/company matches: April 2023
- Internships: May to August 2023
The Ohio Export Internship Program helps companies that are looking to export for the first time or to improve their current export initiatives. The program provides a 50 percent reimbursement for the intern wages. It offers a mutually beneficial relationship to students and companies by providing real-world experiences where both can learn and grow.
- Up to 50% reimbursement for intern wages.
- Trained, full-time summer interns will focus on export development.
- A uniquely tailored scope of work with specific deliverables.
- Students are mentored by Ohio Department of Development, Small Business Development Center Export Assistance Network, and Ohio universities
- Interns are paid full-time wages for 12 weeks over the summer.
- Managerial guidance will be provided for the intern.
- There will be an exporting budget, and the majority of the workload for the intern will be focused on exporting.
- A program evaluation will be completed after the internship.
- Building export readiness
- Identifying new markets
- Market-specific research and analysis
- Streamlining current export processes and procedures